Sometimes it is nice to go to a game that does not have some type of national implication. Especially, after the majority of March Madness is in the books. A good cure for the no UTK sports blues is as simple as making a trip down to the Knoxville Civic Coliseum to watch the SPHL Knoxville Ice Bears, with your student discount it is cheaper than most UTK sporting events.
The best advice you could receive to start out with, especially with the current weather is that there are ticket sales counters on the interior of the building. A student ticket is $9.00 regardless of where you sit in the arena, but they are based on a first come first serve basis. (My student ID extended the discount to my wife as well) So for one person with the cost of a student ticket, plus nachos, parking, and a 24 ounce beer you can expect to spend around $25 dollars for the entire evening. While the Ice Bears games themselves are a steal with a student discounts, there are several other events to take part in, from the on ice races, the car show, and the classic chuck-a-puck contest.
The sooner you order your tickets the better as the student discount can be applied at any time, and the price maintains itself regardless of the section of seating.
The Black Angus grill will have you covered on quick snacks and meals, located in the main hallway it is impossible to miss the sign and smells of this place. Serving everything from chicken tenders to nachos and a variety of non-alcoholic beverages. However, those who are incline to have an adult beverage the arena does feature your standard domestic drafts, as well as, local variety from the Blackhorse Brewery and the Yee-haw Brewing Company.
The true gems however, continue throughout the game itself. All events are $5 and that is everything from a signed Ice Bears jersey to a 50/50 drawing that is usually above $1,000 for the winner.
Hot wheels night featured cars from the area with a fan vote where the top three were featured during the first intermission.
- Wait until the second period if you can for snacks, they have three children race as different foods and the winning snack is half off for the rest of the game, or while supplies last.
- The chuck-a-puck is a feature before the third period kicks off where you can purchase hockey pucks and throw them on the ice. There are several circles each representing an area business, the closest puck to the center of the circle wins that prize.
- Second intermission is also when they begin to throw t-shirts to the fans. It’s based on how loud each section yells.
- During the third period, the contest for the loudest section resulted in the winning section receiving lottery tickets from Pilot Flying J.
- And finally, if the Ice Bears scored in the first minute you could trade your ticket stub in at Bravo Cucina Italiana for a free appetizer.
These events have rotating sponsors as well, so there is no telling what events are being held for each game. Look for the fan assistance table located in the main hallway for updated information on all available contests and to enter in the 50/50 drawing or the jersey raffle.